Alliance Manchester Business School logo

Postgraduate Research Handbook

University Support Services

University Support Services

The University provides a comprehensive range of support and services to students, and as a postgraduate research student you have full access to these.

More information on when and where to get help is available here.

Counselling Service

The Counselling Service offers confidential help with any personal issues affecting work, self-esteem, relationships, sexuality, mental health and general well-being. We are accessible to all students and members of staff. 

If you supervise PGR students and need advice on how to support your students, training and guidance is available.

Disability Advisory and Support Service

Find guidance and support at:  

English Language Support

The University Language Centre not only provides free English language courses for registered students (in-sessional courses) but also tailored workshops, tutorial service and online resources to support students in their academic work.


Having a UK bank account will help you manage your finances throughout your programme.  If you receive funding from the University, payments will only be made to you by bank transfer to a UK bank account.  You can find further information about opening bank accounts, budgeting, cost of living and funding from the websites below:

Student Support - Banking

International Students - Finance 


If you have not lived in the UK before, you will need to register with a local doctor for your main healthcare when you arrive.  Lists of doctors are available from the NHS Website. For dental care, you will need to register with a local dentist.  However, the University Dental Hospital offers emergency treatment.

The University's Occupational Health Service will offer confidential advice and support relating to  health concerns that may affect your academic studies.

Student Support and Advice

Based in the Atrium of University Place, this team can offer advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting to more specialist services. They also have information and resources on their website covering topics such as money, health and wellbeing.

Working in the UK 

If you are considering working during your study, you can find out more about immigration restrictions for non-EU students, how to apply for a National Insurance number, part-time work opportunities and voluntary work from the Careers Service

External Support Services

Registered Child Minders 0161 234 7111
National Sexual Health Information 0800 567 123
George House Trust (HIV charity) 0161 274 4499
Alcoholics Anonymous 0161 839 2881
Life Line (Drugs Advice) 0161 839 2054
Rape Crisis Line 0161 273 4500
Samaritans 0161 236 8000
Citizens Advice Bureau (including Manchester City Council Housing) 0844 411 1222
Victim Support Central Manchester 0845 456 8800
Manchester Brook Advisory Centre (Contraception and abortion advice) 0161 237 3001
Manchester Gay and Lesbian Helpline 0161 235 8000